How To Create Cool Backgrounds with Stamps


Hello, I am glad to see you here at Rubber Dance art stamps! My name is Gabriele from Art-a-tag and I am a mixed media artist from Germany.


I mostly work intuitively and don´t really plan ahead. I let the process lead me and often I find interesting figures emerging from my backgrounds, I can work on. This time I made a background with wild scribbles using charcoal, found a colour range I liked, and made many, many marks with a stencil and a lot of Rubber Dance stamps. I am sorry, I got carried away, so the first photo I can present, already shows the silhouette of a cat. You can very well see the background with all marks.
cat1
I stamp in different colours, to give it more interest. Some marks are hard to see, but they are there. I use the stamps unmounted, so I can bend them and place them easier even on small spots.
cat2
The cat found a mouse!! I lightened the background surrounding the cat - looks better. I left the body of the cat mostly untouched to show all the mark making, but there is still something missing.
cat3
That´s better! Sorry for the shiny parts, that is acrylic emulsion, I fixed the charcoal with. Now some finishing touches and I am done. I show you some details so you can see the stamping better and how it creates more interest in the background:
detail4
Background stamp "Flourishes"
detail1
Background stamps "Grunge Swirls" and "Vintage Script"
detail2
Background stamps "Grunge Swirls" and "Flourishes"
detail3Background stamps "Flourishes" in two colours. You can also see, that I use pen, pencils and crayons for some finishing touches.

Now here is the final picture:
finalcat
The picture needed a contrasting colour, so I thought this light teal would do the job nicely. Finished! I like it, that the background with all its beautiful marks shows. It is so easy, creating an interesting background with Rubber Dance stamps!
If you have any questions feel free to contact me and visit me on my blog.

Supply list:
Charcoal and acrylic emulsion to fix it
acrylic paint various brands yellow, red, orange, black, violet, light teal.
Neocolors II, pencil, black and white pen.
StazOn Ink: Orange Zest, Pumpkin, Cherry Pink, St. Valentine and Cloudy Sky.
The Rubber Dance stamps I used:
"Grunge Swirls", "Flourishes",  "Vintage Script" and "Vintage Postcard"

I wish you a very happy and creative time!

Gabriele from Art-a-tag


Rubber Dance webshop: www.rubberdance.com
We would be happy if you join us on Facebook for the latest news!

Comments

Bibi Lindahl said…
Thank you, Gabriele! :-)
I love your painting! Such a cool cat! It's very interesting to see how you, a painter, uses stamps in your work. Quite different from what I'm used to when working with stamps and ink, so I have lots to learn from seeing how you do things. Thanks for sharing!
Majo said…
This is Emmy, I'm working on her spots now :) Beautiful painting, dear Gabriele ♥
Unknown said…
I love looking for the stamps you have used to bring your backgrounds to life Gabrielle. Love this naughty cat. I choose to believe he is thinking about letting the mouse go! 😃
Suman Pandit said…
It is interesting to see the process and also the exact moment when you feel the work is complete, like adding that light teal here !! Like Bibi says ' Such a cool cat' !!
Unknown said…
This is soooo fun and just love the way it turned out. I just sent your page to my grandchildren - they are getting a new kitty for their new home in the country. THEY giggled and LOVED it!!! Thanks bunches for such a happy stamping creation! j
Susanne Rose said…
Total klasse!!! Die Farbwahl finde ich richtig prima!
ionabunny said…
Love the bright colours. Awesome cat. Hugz
Artatag said…
Thank you so much Bibi! Your stamps are so versatile, I just love them! ❤️
Artatag said…
Thank you Majo! I promised you to paint a kitten...❤️
Artatag said…
Thank you Helen! Don't worry about the mouse, I saw it running around in the garden yesterday...🐭🎉😌
Artatag said…
Thank you very much Suman! I am glad you like it!
Artatag said…
Thank you so much Joi! How nice you shared the kitty with your grandchildren and they loved. I like it when my creations make people happy!
Artatag said…
Danke Susanne!
Artatag said…
Thank you so much!

Popular posts from this blog

February Theme Challenge - Layers

IMPORTANT message from Bibi

Create with your own imagination... (by Corinne, GDT this month)

Poodles of Snow, Cute as a Button