How to - recycle packaging into Art

Hi everyone Debs here with one of my how tos, and this week I’m focusing on recycling packaging. You know that stuff that comes in boxes along with your goods to hold it all in place. This pieces is 8x12 and about 1/2in thick, it’s not solid, as it has strips of card sandwiched between outer layers of card, and is quite sturdy.




I gave the substrate a coat of white Gesso first to seal it, and provide a light hue base upon which to work.


Wanting more layers of acrylic paint I chose Fresco Finish from Paper Artsy in mauves, blues and greens.


I built up several layers of the paint and then with the end of my paint brush I added some scraffiti 
And then dried it thoroughly with a heat gun.


Next I used water colours by Zig Kuretake GansaiTambi 
in the same hues, and with my water gun made the paint drip and run. I then flicked on some gold, as well as adding some to the edges.

I wanted the illusion of thick under growth and so used the leaves from a stencil (corners1) from ArtZone, first with acrylic Paint and then blended with Big Brush Pens from Fabre Castell


I now had my background and was ready for my stamps. I started with my favourite leaf stamp at the moment, from Crazy Flowers2. It was 
difficult to get a clear definition as the surface was quite bumpy and textured.


I then stamped the feature bird from Merry Magpie. I heat set all the stamping but before this, with a damp cutip I tidied 
where the ink had smudged.


I used the brush Pens to paint the bird and a black gel pen to fill in the gaps.
I deliberately left the leaves uncoloured as it is on trend at the moment.
My sentiment is from Adore Me.

A last look, as you can see we had a dusting of snow the day this photo was shot.



Here’s a reminder of the stamps I used



Comments

Wonderful up-cycling Debs 😍 Love your piece!
Beautiful zingy colours Debs and a great idea to recycle too
Hugs
Donna xx
Bibi Lindahl said…
Great idea - there are so many things we can use in our art, and turn boring into awesome. - Which is what you have done here!!! Lovely piece of art, Debs! (Such a funny sentiment, isn't it?). Thank you so much for sharing the tutorial with us! ♥ ♥ ♥
Beautiful piece, Debs... love the texture, colors and stamping!!
Sue said…
This is gorgeous Debs, I love the purple and green together, fab combinations. Have a fun week xx
Susanne Rose said…
What a fab idea!!! And I love the colours you've used together!

Popular posts from this blog

Happiness is a state of mind - Art Journal Page

Create with your own imagination... (by Corinne, GDT this month)

IMPORTANT message from Bibi

Join our Combined Blog Hop!